Over the last couple of years, there’s been a trend of people looking for help to do glute exercises at home. We all know it’s good to incorporate butt workouts with your glute strengthening exercises. But we want it simplified so it’s short and sweet.
It can often seem a little challenging to decide on the best home workouts, and with fewer pieces of equipment in place, it’s often not uncommon for individuals to find themselves struggling to find an optimal workout plan.
But we’ve come up with some valuable tips for glute strengthening that you could try to enhance your own workout goals.
The 5 Best Glute Exercises at Home
Have you been looking for new workout ideas? Thank goodness for the internet right? But we don’t want you to get lost with all the options. We want you to focus, keep it simple so you can get results. Luckily, even in an at-home environment with fewer pieces of equipment to hand, you can still get excellent toning results by trying the following workout options.
Before you Work Out
Before you begin your at-home glutes workout, we highly recommend you start by engaging your glutes and gently warming up.
As recommended by A Southern Drawl, starting with a simple resistance band is an excellent way to activate your glutes and prepare them for the workout ahead. In turn, this may make it easier to grow your glutes, allowing you to complete a longer and more thorough workout without getting injured.
We also recommend that you take some time to plan out your glute strengthening exercise goals carefully. Indeed, we all want to see big results fast – but, in reality, life doesn’t often work this way. Instead, you’ll usually have greater success with regular, moderate workouts compared to occasional, intensive ones.
Try to vary your workouts to keep them interesting and engage different areas of your glutes. Moreover, always build up your workouts slowly over time to avoid doing too much, too quickly, as this could result in injuries and muscle strain.
#1 Start with Squats
Squats are one of the most stereotypical butt workouts, but that’s only because they work! As such, if you’ve been looking to start your own glute exercises at home, squats could be an excellent option to consider to begin with. Plus, they’re incredibly easy to complete, further adding to their appeal.
To complete a basic squat:
- stand with your feet at hip distance apart
- bend your knees slowly, which should begin lowering your body to the floor
- as you do so, gently push backward with your buttocks (this posture is similar to how you might move while sitting down in a chair)
- hold the position for three seconds before gradually straightening up again.
The basic squat is a bodyweight exercise; however, once you have mastered it, you could also add kettlebells or dumbbells to add a little more intensity and challenge.
#2 Walking Lunges
Lunges, much like squats, are a much-loved part of most workouts for glute strengthening. While walking lunges might seem a little silly, they’re one of the most effective bodyweight exercises to tone and grow your glutes.
- start by standing still at one end of a room, and then drop into a lunge, with your knee nearly touching the floor.
- hold this position for a second before straightening up.
- then, transition onto the opposite leg and repeat, giving the impression of “walking.”
#3 Step Ups
Step-ups are incredibly effective butt workouts – and, best of all, they’re great to complete at home if you have a set of stairs in your house!
- simply start with one foot elevated on the step and the other on the floor below.
- raise your body upward so that you are fully elevated on the step
- hold the moving leg up while standing on one leg
- hold this posture for three seconds before returning to the starting position.
To add a little more complexity to this workout, why not add some dumbbells to increase the weight?
#4 Kettlebell Swing
You’ll need a kettlebell for this activity, but fortunately, they’re incredibly affordable and easy to buy.
- stand with your feet at hip distance, and bend your knees.
- bend your torso so that you’re almost parallel to the floor
- hold the kettlebell handle with two hands
- squeeze your glutes together while straightening your legs and lifting your torso
- return to the starting position and repeat
Take care during repetitions to come to a complete stop so that you’re not simply relying on momentum to keep the kettlebell swinging.
#5 Glute Bridge
Bridges are one of the most effective ways to tone your glutes – and also one of the easiest.
- start by lying on the floor with your back flat on the ground and your knees bent.
- your feet should also be flat on the ground.
- engaging your glutes, raise your hips until your back is at a 45-degree angle to the floor.
- hold this position for three seconds before gently lowering back down and repeating the process.
Are you going to try these glute exercises at home?
If you’ve been looking for new glutes workout ideas, we hope today’s guide may have helped. Indeed, working out and strengthening your glutes doesn’t have to be a major challenge, and even when you’re just doing a workout at home, there are plenty of options you could consider.
However, to get the most from your workouts, always ensure you allow your body plenty of time to recover between workout sessions. Ideally, you could also try to vary your exercise routines with time to keep things interesting.